FREE! Euro 2016 challenge for secondary schools
To create a language activity for primary school children aged 9-11, in a language of your choice, about any aspect of France or French culture.
About the challenge:
- Open to pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9;
- Maximum of 5 pupils per group;
- Schools may enter any number of groups;
- FREE to enter for all UK secondary schools.
About the language activity:
- Pupils may select any language (except English!) to create their language activity in;
- Can be about any aspect of France, for example: French food, TV, cities, sport, music, celebrities or even Euro 2016 itself;
- Must be aimed at upper Key Stage 2 pupils, so Years 5 and 6, age 9-11;
- Any format is acceptable – it could be a worksheet, an online quiz, interactive whiteboard activity, board/card game, etc.
How to enter:
- All correspondence should come from school staff, rather than pupils;
- Register your school by e-mailing email@example.com with your name, school address and role in school. We will then confirm your registration and send you all the information you need to get started;
- Promote the competition among your pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9. As a suggestion, maybe set this as a classroom activity during a regular language lesson, a homework task or an extra-curricular activity;
- Collect your groups’ entries and submit them by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Depending on the format of the language activity, entries should be submitted by e-mail. If the file is too large, or for alternative submission options, please e-mail the same address to make suitable arrangements;
- If your school is entering more than one group, please submit each group’s entry individually.
- Deadline for submitting your school’s entries is Tuesday 10th May at 6pm.
The next round:
A panel of judges will decide on the best language activities that are submitted. Selected groups will then be invited to attend a special Euro 2016 celebration day at Emirates Stadium in June!
These selected groups will be notified if they have been successful in good time in order to allow enough time to make arrangements in school for the trip to Emirates Stadium.
About the next round:
- The selected groups will deliver their language activity to a group of primary school pupils at Emirates Stadium;
- The judges will decide which of the selected groups has the best language activity on the day;
- Other activities with a football and language theme to create a fun-filled day!
The best overall group, as decided by the judges, will receive the Arsenal Double Club Euro 2016 trophy and have their language activity adapted and published as an official Arsenal Double Club teaching material!
This competition is open to all UK secondary schools and you do not need to be an existing Double Club school to participate. To register your school, or for more information, please e-mail email@example.com.